An estimated 1.2 million Hispanics of Colombian beginning lived in the us in 2017, relating to a Pew Research Center analysis associated with U.S. Census BureauвЂ™s United states Community Survey. Colombians in this analytical profile are individuals who self-identified as Hispanics of Colombian beginning; this can include immigrants from Colombia and people whom trace their loved ones ancestry to Colombia.
Colombians will be the seventh-largest population of Hispanic beginning located in america, accounting for just two% for the U.S. Hispanic population in 2017. Since 2000, the population that is colombian-origin increased 148%, growing from 502,000 to 1.2 million throughout the period. On top of that, the Colombian foreign-born population surviving in the U.S. expanded by 99%, from 383,000 in 2000 to 763,000 in 2017. In contrast, Mexicans, the nationвЂ™s largest Hispanic origin group, constituted 36.6 million, or 62%, associated with Hispanic populace in 2017.
Colombian-origin population into the U.S., 2000-2017
|Foreign born||U.S. born|
Pew Analysis Center
The after key points compare demographic and financial faculties associated with the population that is colombian-origin the U.S. using the traits of U.S. Hispanics additionally the U.S. population overall. It’s predicated on Pew analysis Center tabulations associated with 2017 United states Community Survey. Key points include:
- Among Hispanics when you look at the U.S., about 33% are international created, weighed against 61% of U.S. Colombians.
- About 43percent of foreign-born Colombians have been around in the U.S. for more than twenty years, and 60% of foreign-born Colombians are U.S. residents.
- About 16% of U.S. Hispanics ages 25 and older have developed at the very least a bachelorвЂ™s level, weighed against 33% of Colombians.
- Among Colombians many years 25 and older, the U.S. born tend to be more likely compared to the born that is foreign have bachelorвЂ™s level or more (42% vs. 30%).
- Among U.S. Hispanics, the median yearly personal profits for everyone many years 16 and older ended up being $25,000, weighed against $28,600 for Colombians.
- Taking a look at full-time, year-round employees, U.S. Hispanics obtained significantly less than Colombians ($34,000 vs. $40,000).
- The share of U.S. Hispanics whom are now living in poverty (19%) is more than among Colombians (11%).
- About 10% of U.S.-born Colombians are now living in poverty, because do 12% of foreign-born Colombians.
- The price of homeownership among U.S. Hispanics (47%) is comparable to the rate for Colombians (48%).
- Among Colombians into the U.S., prices of homeownership are reduced for the U.S. born than international created (48% vs. 49%).
Top states of residence
- The population that is colombian focused in Florida (31%), ny (14%) and nj-new jersey (12%).
- The median age of U.S. Hispanics (29) is gloomier than that of Colombians (37) therefore the U.S. populace (38).
- U.S. Hispanics many years 18 and older are less inclined to be hitched (46%) than Colombians (50%).
- Among Colombians many years 18 and older, those who find themselves international created are more inclined to be hitched compared to the U.S. born (56% vs. 36%).
- About 7% of U.S. women that are hispanic 15 to 44 gave delivery within the one year before the July 2017 United states Community Survey. The price for Colombian females had been 5%.
- About 70% of U.S. Hispanics many years 5 and older talk just English at home or talk English at the very least вЂњvery well,вЂќ contrasted with 62% of Colombians.
- Likewise, 64% of Hispanic grownups are English proficient, since are 57% of Colombian grownups.
Down load the information
Other U.S. Hispanic reality sheets
- Facts on U.S. Latinos
- Origin fact that is group-specific:
Pew Research CenterвЂ™s reality sheets on U.S. Latinos and the associated we we we blog post examine the Latino populace for the United States general and also by its 15 largest origin groups вЂ” Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Salvadorans, Cubans, Dominicans, Guatemalans, Colombians, Hondurans, Spaniards, Ecuadorians, Peruvians, Nicaraguans, Venezuelans, Argentines and Panamanians. These sheets offer detailed geographical, demographic and characteristics that are economic all Latinos as well as for each Latino origin team. They truly are centered on Pew Research Center tabulations associated with the U.S. Census BureauвЂ™s 2010, 2015 and 2017 United states Community Survey (ACS) together with 2000 U.S. decennial census.
The ACS could be the household survey that is largest in america, with an example in excess of 3 million details. It covers the topics formerly covered into the long kind of the decennial census. The ACS is made to offer quotes regarding the size and traits of this resident population, which include individuals located in households and group quarters. To get more information regarding the ACS, like the sampling strategy and linked error, look at 2010, 2015 or 2017 United states Community SurveyвЂ™s Accuracy Statement supplied by the U.S. Census Bureau.
The precise information sources for those reality sheets will be the 1% examples of the 2010, 2015 and 2017 United states Community Survey (ACS) Integrated Public utilize Microdata Series (IPUMS) given by the University of Minnesota together with 5% test associated with the 2000 census that is decennial. IPUMS assigns uniform codes, to your degree feasible, to data gathered by the census that is decennial the ACS from 1850 to 2017. To learn more about IPUMS, including definition that is variable sampling mistake, please look at the вЂњIPUMS Documentation and consumer Guide.вЂќ
Because of variations in the real manner in which IPUMS and Census Bureau adjust earnings data and designate poverty status, data supplied on these subjects might change from data which are supplied by the Census Bureau.